The Houston Texans are being mum on the status of Ryan Mallett, who was visibly emotional and upset after losing the starting QB battle to Brian Hoyer earlier this week.
According to reports, Mallett missed Thursday’s practice, and the Texans are not saying why.
“That’s between Ryan and I,” head coach Bill O’Brien said, per the Houston Chronicle.
The QB was at practice Wednesday, the day after losing the battle. O’Brien suggested that Mallett could return to practice on Friday.
“That’s a personal issue with him,” O’Brien said.
On Monday, when O’Brien named Hoyer the starter (and check out O’Brien telling the players the news on the clip above from “Hard Knocks”, he said all three Texans quarterbacks — Hoyer, Mallett and second-year player Tom Savage — would play in the third preseason game this weekend against the New Orleans Saints.
In a very candid news conference on Tuesday, Mallett didn’t try to hide his disappointment over Hoyer being picked instead of him.
“Disappointed? Yeah,” Mallett said, according to the Houston Chronicle. “Angry? Yeah, a little bit. I thought I did enough to win the job. It wasn’t seen that way.”
O’Brien said Tuesday that he appreciated Mallett’s reaction, because he didn’t want players “jumping around doing back springs” when they’re named a backup. Mallett said he thought he had played well through camp and the preseason in the competition.
“Obviously, I’m disappointed,” Mallett said, according to the Chronicle. “I don’t agree with it. I’ll do what I have to do to better the team.”
O’Brien said he thinks Mallett will be back at practice on Friday, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.