Neiman Marcus reveals security breach
Upscale retailer Neiman Marcus officially acknowledged Saturday that they were teaming with the US Secret Service to launch and investigation into the theft of credit card and personal information.

The retailer’s Spokeswoman, Ginger Reeder, said in an email that they received the initial reports of a possible breach in mid December of last year. They were able to confirm the breach via a third party security company on January 1st of this year. This would put the timing of the attack directly on the heels of the Target breach, which affected in the neighborhood of 40 million customers’ credit and debit card data. No estimate was given as to how many customers were affected by their breach, but the retailer did responded via their Twitter account, @neimanmarcus, stating: “We are taking steps, where possible, to notify customers whose cards we know were used fraudulently after purchasing at our stores.”

Although the timing of the attack coincides with the Target attack, the company says there is no evidence at this time that the two attacks were related in any way. However, news agency Reuters has reported that smaller breaches may have occurred at up to three additional retailers over the holiday season.

Sources:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2014/01/12/neiman-marcus-latest-victim-security-breach/pZHhuxgM2Nnl5YtVQZHi6K/story.html

Neiman Marcus Breach Could Be Part Of Larger Holiday Cyberattack On U.S. Retailers

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/12/us-target-databreach-retailers-idUSBREA0B01720140112

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/01/hackers-steal-card-data-from-neiman-marcus/