Boy's Arm "Bitten Off" By Tiger In Indian Zoo

Boy’s Arm “Bitten Off” By Tiger In Indian Zoo (Courtesy J. Patrick Fischer)

Two Year Old Attacked By Tiger at Indian Zoo

A two year old boy had his arm bitten off while feeding a tiger at a zoo in Karnataka. The tragedy occurred as the child attempted to feed the cat chocolate.

The child had been accompanied to the zoo by his grandparents and witnesses state the adults failed to ensure the safety of the child and did not prevent him from approaching the tiger’s habitat.

Zoo officials admit that they have safety precautions for visitors in place. The regulations are formulated to serve in tandem with visitor caution in order to strengthen visitor safety, according to a zoo source.

The source further states that the accident was at the fault of the child’s grandmother, who was on the phone at the time of the incident, reports the Telegraph.

“A two-and-a-half year old boy had come to the zoo with his grandparents. His grandmother was attending a phone call, while the boy put his arm into the tiger closure through the grill. The tiger pounced on boy, injuring him badly. Unfortunately, he lost his forearm in the attack,” Deputy Conservator of Forests S Manikantan told The Daily Telegraph.
“We take precautions but the visitors have to be extra careful,” he said.

The child received treatment at a local hospital. He is still being observed, however, he has lost his forearm in the wake of the attack.