Welsh Restaurant Serves Alcohol To 2-Year-Old

Welsh Restaurant Serves Alcohol To 2-Year-Old


Drunk Toddler in Wales

A Welsh restaurant apparently served alcohol to a minor during a birthday party celebration over the weekend. To make matters worse for the restaurant the minor was actually a two year old toddler.

A restaurant named “Frankie and Bennies” in the Welsh town of Swansea served whiskey to Sonny Rees who was celebrating his second birthday. Rees was immediately taken to a local emergency room after his mother discovered the alcohol.

Rees had been acting strangely and had made a funny face after drinking from the cup he had been given said the boy’s mother Ninna. She tasted the drink discovering to her shock that the child had actually been drinking whiskey. She said that her son was “clearly intoxicated.”

“I took it from him and took a sip myself,” she told the BBC. “It was whiskey, I would say a double. As soon as I sipped it I had the slight burny feeling in my throat and warming in my chest.”

Sonny Rees was examined at the hospital where the staff monitored his reactions and vital signs. He was later released.

The restaurant chain apologized and blamed the incident on human error, but the boys mom was disapointed with how the staff handled the situation.

“The first reaction of the staff was awful,” she told the Sun. “They said it couldn’t have happened and just went and got him some water and walked off. They more or less dismissed me.”

Not The First Time A Todler Was Given Booze At A Restaurant

Instead of apple juice, a 15-month-old toddler was given alcoholic margarita mix at a Madison Heights, Michigan Applebee’s earlier this year.

Taylor Dill-Reese said she had ordered apple juice with her child’s kids meal during their meal. She said he began acting very sleepy and laid his head on the table.

Dill-Reese began to get very concerned about her son and opened his cup. She smelled alcohol in his cup and alerted the manager.

The manager apologized and said he was unsure what could be done. She then rushed her son to the emergency room. His blood alcohol level was .10, which is a very dangerous level. A .10 level is above the legal limit even for adults in the state of Michigan. The doctors at the hospital informed the mother that the results could have been fatal for her son if he had consumed the entire drink. She is very thankful that he is ok after the incident.

The local police are investigating this case along with the restaurant. Applebee’s has issued a statement calling this “unacceptable.” This is giving parents a tip to check their child’s cup when it is served at a restaurant. It could easily go unnoticed since the cup is sealed with a lid.