Dog Swallows Christmas Fairy Lights, Survives Surgery - Again

Charlie, a seven-year-old crossbreed dog from Southampton, had life-saving surgery after eating Christmas fairy lights (PA/PDSA)
Read more:

Surgery Saves Dog Who Swallowed Christmas Fairy Lights

It wasn’t a very good sign when dog owner Sharon Fay started noticing that her crossbreed pooch Charlie had small wires sticking out of his feces. Unfortunately, the curious pup had swallowed at least a foot of Christmas fairy lights.

The Daily Mail reports, X-rays taken after an emergency trip to the veterinarian from veterinary charity PDSA uncovered the fact that the string of lights was now stuck in Charlie’s stomach and he required immediate surgery in order to remove them and save his life. A shoelace was also removed from his stomach during the surgery.

PDSA senior veterinary surgeon Sophie Bell tells the Belfast Telegraph that she had never seen a case like this before.

“Over the years I’ve seen plenty of cases of dogs swallowing strange objects – socks, dummies, rubber ducks, but it’s the first time any of us have treated a dog that has actually eaten fairy lights,” she said.

This isn’t the first time that the Southampton dog has had to go under the knife in order to remove a foreign object from his digestive track.

Earlier this year, Fay noticed that Charlie had eaten one of her scarves and he was rushed into surgery in order to remove it.

“Back in March he ate one of my scarves and needed an operation to remove it, but I thought it was just a one-off incident as he hadn’t shown any signs that he was going to be a repeat offender. I’ve had dogs all my life and have never known a dog act like this before.”

She said she will be keeping a watchful eye on him from now on.