his undated image provided by BluePearl Veterinary Partners shows the X-ray of Jack Russell terrier named Jack that swallowed 111 pennies. The 13-year-old pooch's owner rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery Friday March 9, 2013 and doctors put him under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. (AP Photo/BluePearl Veterinary Partners)

his undated image provided by BluePearl Veterinary Partners shows the X-ray of Jack Russell terrier named Jack that swallowed 111 pennies. The 13-year-old pooch’s owner rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery Friday March 9, 2013 and doctors put him under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. (AP Photo/BluePearl Veterinary Partners)

Dog Undergoes Emergency Surgery to Remove 111 Pennies

(dBTechno) – A Jack Russell terrier in New York must have mistaken himself for a piggy bank, because he recently swallowed 110 pennies. When the owner of Jack realized what he had done, he quickly transported the lethargic animal to a veterinarian clinic in New York City in order to save his life with emergency surgery.

Jack, who is no spring chicken at the ripe old age of 13, was put under anesthesia so that the doctor could remove each of the 111 pennies he had managed to swallow.

In addition to causing a possible blockage in his intestines, the pennies also contain zinc which is poisonous to dogs.

Luckily, the surgery, which cost a lot more than the $1.11 retrieved from Jack’s stomach, was successful and his owner Tim Kellehe reports that he has regained his energy and enthusiasm. No word on how Jack found the stash of pennies that he mistook for dog treats!

Kelleher said: “He’s doing great. He’s driving me crazy again.”

“He’s like a voracious Tasmanian devil – if there’s food, he’s got to get it,” Kelleher said.

“He climbed on my desk to get at the bag with the bagel and knocked the change all over the floor. While he was licking up the crumbs, he swallowed the pennies.”

In 2012, it could have been “lights out” for a dog that swallowed a foot of Christmas fairy lights if a team of vets had not performed life-saving surgery on him.

Vets rushed Charlie to the operating table and removed the Christmas decorations, also finding a shoelace.

What sort of strange things has your dog managed to eat?

Source:

NYC dog recovering after swallowing 111 pennies
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/nyc_dog_recoering_after_swallo.html

Dog swallows a foot of Christmas fairy lights – see the X-ray
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dog-swallows-a-foot-of-christmas-fairy-1494510