Sittingbourne Community College in Kent

Sittingbourne Community College in Kent

School’s Therapy Dog Accidentally Left in Car Dies of Heat

Kent, England – The dog belonging to a physical education teacher at Sittingbourne Community College died from heat after being left in its owner’s car for six hours, reports the Daily Mail.

The owner, Dave Carden, regularly brought his family-friendly Labrador to the campus where it provided support lessons for what are termed “lower-ability” students.

The five-year-old dark black haired Labrador was used three times a week over the past three years. Carden says he would drive his pet to school and leave it in the car where another faculty member would retrieve it shortly thereafter for the therapy treatments.

However, this past Tuesday a staff mix up left poor Ruby, as she was called, in the car from morning until mid-afternoon. By the time her master found her, she had succumbed to the heat inside the car.

Carden rushed her to veterinarians who attempted to revive her but to no avail. Jon Whitcombe, principal of Swale Academy Trust which runs the college, said Ruby is missed by support staff and the students she helped are grieving over her loss.

He said: ‘Ruby was a much-loved member of the school community and died in what can only be described as a tragic accident.

‘We’ve got a number of very upset pupils and staff and we’re trying our best to provide the necessary support to those concerned.’

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) is also launching an investigation into Ruby’s death. They were not available for comment because the matter is an ongoing investigation.

Source:

School’s therapy dog Ruby the Labrador dies in hot car after mix-up between staff left it to suffer in 20C heat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314780/Schools-therapy-dog-Ruby-Labrador-dies-hot-car-mix-staff-left-suffer-20C-heat.html