It may not be your standard garden variety bomb, but 65-year-old Carole Longhorn still deemed it in need of some sprucing up.
She found the unexploded ordinance in her garden as she was gardening. In fact, she struck the bomb with her garden hoe which is when she discovered it. Realizing it was a bomb, she initially covered it with a plastic chair as protection against it accidentally exploding.
There is no record that Mrs. Longhorn had qualified training in bombs to determine that the chair was adequate protection.
She then called out to her husband who would not draw anywhere near the bomb. Mr. Longhorn then described his exasperation when he heard the distinct tinkling sound of metal coming the kitchen sink.
Mrs Longhorn said: “I called my husband to come and have a look at it, but he wouldn’t so I brought it indoors.”
Mr Longhorn told the Telegraph: “She took a few precautions. She put a plastic seat on the top in case it went off.
“I heard a rattle in the kitchen and saw she was washing it in the blooming sink. You can imagine what I said to her.”
It was the bomb being washed clean by his wife. After he expressed himself colorfully, authorities were called in to remove the bomb from the premises.
A bomb detonation team later exploded the bomb which was strong enough to quake the surrounding earth. The bomb experts said the Longhorns are very lucky to be alive given the immediate danger the bomb posed. For her part, Mrs. Longhorn came very close to getting a Darwin Awards nomination.
Mr Longhorn added: “The bomb disposal team said it was live and that we were very lucky.
Woman washed unexploded bomb in kitchen sink