A family from London had to evacuate their home earlier this week after a swarm of Brazilian wandering spiders hatched off of a banana they purchased at a local supermarket. According to the Huffington Post, 29-year-old Consi Taylor was enjoying a banana when she noticed a small white area on the peel.
She initially thought it was mold, but when the spiders started hatching out onto her table and scattering all over her home she realized she was wrong.
“I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders,” Taylor told The Sun newspaper. “They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet.”
The family hired a local pest control service to come and fumigate their home. The pest control service identified the insects as Brazilian wandering spiders, considered to be the most venomous spider in the world. They live in tropical climates like Brazil and are known to make their homes in banana trees, thus the nickname banana spiders.
However, the spiders that invaded the Taylor’s home were just baby spiders and did not pose a real threat to the family because baby spiders cannot open their jaws wide enough to bite a human.
The supermarket where the bananas were purchased has offered the family monetary compensation for their trouble and also made a public statement apologizing to them for this unfortunate incident.
Sainsbury’s, the supermarket that sold the bananas, initially gave the Taylor’s a £10 ($16) gift card but said this was only an “initial act of good will.” It has now given the Taylors
“a substantial cash sum,” according to a statement.
Having subsequently hired its own spider expert, Sainsbury’s said the arachnids were “likely to be a foliage spider or Cheiracanthium,” adding that “all forms of wandering spider are unlikely to survive in this country [the U.K.], either inside or outside, due to their need for warmth and humidity.
“We’re very sorry and have apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor,” the store wrote. “We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages – from harvesting to transportation — which is why this is so rare.”
Brazilian wandering spiders are the most poisonous in the world; however, Taylor didn’t realize the danger that her family was in until she sent pictures to a local exterminator. She was told to evacuate the home right away; Sainsbury’s paid for her family’s hotel and the home to be exterminated.
How would you react to spiders in bananas?
Spiders In Bananas