Temporarily Muffle Noisy Faucet
Whether a home or office is old or new, there’s nothing worse than a leaky faucet dripping day and night. As a single leaky faucet can cause you to lose gallons of water per year, a faucet leak increases water bills. It also causes a lot of noise that can wake up someone who’s sleeping.
If you can’t immediately fix the faucet because of time or budget issues, you can at least muffle the noise.
One gallon: 15,140 drips
One liter: 4,000 drips
Wrap a piece of string made from an absorbent material such as yarn around the faucet’s head and place the other end of the string in the drain. The water will slide down the string or be sucked into the material stopping the noise.
To determine how much water you are losing to the leak, place a jar or large bowl under the string instead, check the water level about 12 hours later and then double the amount to estimate how much you are losing in an entire day. If you have a bucket and do not plan to use the sink for a whole day, place a bucket under the string and wait a full 24 hours before checking the water level.
The Facts on Leaks:
- The average household’s leaks can account for more than 10,000 gallons of water wasted every year, or the amount of water needed to wash 270 loads of laundry.
- Household leaks can waste more than 1 trillion gallons annually nationwide. That’s equal to the annual household water use of more than 11 million homes.
- Ten percent of homes have leaks that waste 90 gallons or more per day.
- Common types of leaks found in the home include worn toilet flappers, dripping faucets, and other leaking valves. All are easily correctable.
- Fixing easily corrected household water leaks can save homeowners about 10 percent on their water bills.
- Keep your home leak-free by repairing dripping faucets, toilet flappers, and showerheads. In most cases, fixture replacement parts don’t require a major investment.
- Most common leaks can be eliminated after retrofitting a household with new WaterSense labeled fixtures and other high-efficiency appliances.
tie string on leaky faucet
Drip Calculator: How much water does a leaking faucet waste?