Yikes! A Stanford graduate student named Xiangyu Ouyang was banned from the Stanford campus after she was charged for, and later admitted to, four counts of poisoning.
According to court documents, she confessed to spiking the water bottles belonging to some of her classmates with paraformaldehyde. What is paraformaldehyde? Well, according to Google, once it’s depolymerized:
Xiangyu Ouyang, 26, was charged with four counts of poisoning after she admitted to spiking her classmates’ water bottles with paraformaldehyde, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
In a criminal complaint one student told police:
“She immediately experienced a burning sensation in her mouth and throat. Her eyes became irritated and watery. She began salivating uncontrollably. Her throat was burning so bad that she could not even swallow the water.”
And Ouyang apparently admitted to the crimes. Her statement was in a police report where she allegedly said:What do you think?
“I am truly sorry for what had happened, but I really didn’t mean to harm people.”
University spokeswoman Lisa Lapin said about the incidents:What do you think?
“This was a sad, heartbreaking situation for everyone involved. This was a confined, isolated circumstance and there was no threat to the broader campus community. The university has been providing support to the group impacted.”What do you think?
The anonymous campus publication Fountain Hopper was the first to publish the allegations of the incidents back in September.What do you think?