Milwaukee man incorrectly pronounced dead by first responders after slipping into a coma

Milwaukee man incorrectly pronounced dead by first responders after slipping into a coma

According to media reports Saturday, a man who was pronounced dead was being transported to the morgue, moved!

Milwaukee Thomas Sandcomb continues to recover after being pronounced dead earlier this week.

Police say around 11:20 p.m. Tuesday night, May 19th, they were called to the Tower Apartments near 11th and Wells for a welfare check. Here they find what police describe as a 46-year-old man lying face down unresponsive in a bedroom.

Sandcomb, and a Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s report indicates that just after midnight, responding officers found him ‘cold to the touch and in rigor.’

Ad ChoicesThe police then called the Milwaukee Fire Department and when fire personnel arrived, ‘no lividity’ was noted, and he appeared very pale. Death was pronounced.

But roughly 45 minutes later, as transporters arrived at the scene, Sancomb exhibited ‘spontaneous respirations and began moving his left arm and right leg — the patient had a heart rate.’

Sancomb was then taken to Saint Mary’s Hospital.

Sancomb’s brother says Thomas is getting better every day. And while FOX6 News cannot confirm anything as far as the cause of complications is concerned, there are documented medical conditions which can slow metabolism to the point that vital signs may be undetectable.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Milwaukee Fire Department says an internal investigation is being conducted. The results of which should be available next week.

Assistant Chief Gerald Washington said: “We’re doing an internal investigation to make sure that everything we did followed protocol. It’s an active investigation, so I can’t comment in detail.”

In January pf last year, a 24-year-old Kenyan man named Paul Mutora woke up in a morgue after he had allegedly tried to kill himself by swallowing insecticide. When the technicians heard noises, “the mortuary attendant and a worker took to their heels screaming,” a witness told a local newspaper.

“This was a mistake from the start and I apologize to my father,” Mutora said.

The phenomenon is described as “delayed return of spontaneous circulation after cessation of cardiopulmonary resuscitation,” according to a 2007 study published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. Researchers counted 38 documented cases, including three where the “deceased” made it as far as the morgue before coming back to life.