Dog dies at Petco

Dog dies at Petco

Last week, a 2-year-old golden retriever died after a routine grooming at Petco in Chesterfield County, Virginia.

When owner Allison Marks didn’t hear back from the store a few hours after she dropped off her dog Colby, she grew worried.

The pet owner called the store and was told to meet Petco’s assistant manager at a nearby animal hospital. When she got there, she found out that Colby had died during his grooming after accidentally being left in the store’s drying cage for too long.

“I just started screaming. Colby was my everything,” she said, noting that the vet said Colby had been dead for at least 45 minutes “and his temperature was still above 105 degrees.”

Dog dies at Petco 2

The dog most likely died of heat stroke, because his internal body temperature was about 105° — hours after he died, reports ABC news.

Marks was especially taken back by the reason the animal had been unattended for so long. She said:

“This is her exact words: ‘your groomer had to go because she had a graduation to go to.'”

Petco has been sympathetic of Mark’s situation, and released this statement after learning about Colby’s death:

“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing. The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”

Though Marks appreciates Petco’s support, she still plans to press charges to make sure no other pet owner is struck by the same tragedy.

Marks also said she’s considering legal action against Petco because she wants “justice” for Colby.

“I can’t bear the thought of losing another dog,” she said. “I feel like I should’ve done better by him.”

Check the dog dies at Petco video below