According to media reports Thrusday, a man and his dog both died inside a car in the soaring heat.
An elderly man and his dog were found dead inside his ‘dream’ sports car on Monday in the soaring heat after it appeared the electric doors and windows stopped working because the battery was dead.
James Rogers, 72, of Port Arthur, Texas, became locked inside his 2007 Chevy Corvette after the car’s battery cable became loose – making the electric doors and windows unsuable.
Temperatures on Monday afternoon reached a high of 92F in the area, according to the National Weather Service.
Port Arthur Police Department told KHOU there were footprints all over the inside of vehicle, which Mr Rogers called his ‘dream car’, showing the man had desperately tried to escape
A low battery can cause the locks to lock up. But there is a manual release on the driver’s side that allows occupants to bypass the battery, according to owners’ manuals.
Rogers apparently was unaware of the of the release.
He had reportedly left his phone in the restaurant so was unable to call for help, reports the Telegraph.
It was four hours before employees of the restaurant spotted him in the car and tried to open the windows, but were unable to. Firefighters were called but Mr Rogers and the dog were already dead.
Mr Rogers’ daughter, Tricia Hernandez, told 12News police had said there was evidence he had struggled to get out of the car.
Temperatures outside had climbed above 90F.
On an online Corvette forum, several posters detailed having been locked inside their cars..