John Hogg Brown Recluse Qatar Airways
Passenger Nearly Loses Leg After Bite From Brown Recluse
A British man is suing Qatar Airways after he was bitten by a brown recluse spider on board a flight, and nearly lost his leg.
John Hogg says the bite itself wasn’t that painful, but the next day his leg was black and swollen. He said his leg was “bursting open” with pus, and doctors got to it just in time, the San Express.CO.UK reports.
He said: “The pain was like nothing I’ve been through in my life. By the time I got to hospital my leg was bursting open, there was pus, it was black.
“It was a right mess. They told me if I had been any later I would have lost my leg or even died. It was terrifying.”
He revealed: “I knew something was wrong but I had no idea how bad it was until I spoke with the surgeon. When he told me how close I had come to losing my leg I was stunned.
“It really hit home when they removed the bandages and I saw what was left of my leg – it resembled something from a horror film. They had been forced to cut away so much, I was devastated.
“However when I realised the extent of my injuries I realised I was just lucky to still have my leg – even if the sight of my leg shocked me when I finally saw it.”
WebMD confirms the symptoms of a brown recluse bite don’t always appear right away. However, within a few hours it may become painful, and in a week or so the patient may develop an open sore and necrosis, or rotting flesh around the wound.
British media reports say Hogg is considering legal action against the airline.
A spokesperson for the Qatar Airways released a statement saying: “The only known interaction between the airline and Mr. Hogg regarding this incident, which he claims happened on a Qatar Airways aircraft in June, was via our website a week after his travel was complete. No report was filled with any staff on board regarding this incident.”
These cases aren’t unheard of. In 2012, a passenger was awarded $78,500 after being bitten by a brown recluse spider on a Delta Airlines flight.