mexico city hickeymexico city hickey

A teenager in Mexico City has reportedly died after receiving a hickey that caused a blood clot and then a stroke.

According to media reports Wednesday, doctors say the teen was having dinner with his family when he started having convulsions.

Julio Macias Gonzalez had spent the evening with his 24-year-old girlfriend.  She has reportedly now disappeared, reports Time.

Medical professionals believe the suction of the hickey resulted in a blood clot for the teen. Doctors believe the blood clot traveled to his brain and caused the fatal stroke.

Time reports on a similar case of a hickey causing a stroke. The 44-year-old did not die, however, and her case study was written up in the New Zealand Medical Journalin 2010 as “a rare phenomenon.” Her clot traveled to her heart, caused a minor stroke, and was treated quickly. (These Olympic athletes were sporting bruises, not hickeys.)