Sunday, October 4, 2015 is National Taco Day.
The origin of the Taco is largely unknown, but taco expert Jeffrey M. Pilcher says the word dates back to the 18th century in the Mexican silver mines and the small explosives used to extract ore. Others believe the taco originates to the 16th century before the Spanish arrived. according to nationaltacoday.com.
Last year, the U.S. consumed 4.5 billion tacos. That’s according to the National Taco Day website. That equals to about 490,000 miles of tacos – enough to take you to the moon and back.
Want to stay iin and do some cooking? Here’s some easy homemade taco recipes.
SOL COCINA’S VAMPIRO
2 corn tortillas
Shredded jack or ‘menonito’ cheese
5 slices of serrano chile
2. Sprinkle about 2 TB grated jack cheese on a corn tortilla and top with the serrano chiles, green onions and the second corn tortillas. Set on a hot griddle and cook until golden on both sides and the cheese is melted.
3. To Assemble: top the double corn tortilla with guacamole, some cooked and diced Carne Asada, a dollop of Chipotle Salsa, the Pico de Gallo and a sprinkle of cotixa cheese. Enjoy!CARNE ASADA MARINADE – for 1 lb steak: 2 tsp. soy sauce, 2 cloves minced garlic, juice of half a lime. Marinate at least 30 minutes. Makes about 8 tacos.CHIPOTLE SALSA: In a blender or mini food processor, blend until smooth: 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, 2 TB chopped chipotles in adobo, juice of 1⁄2 lime.
GRILLED CHICKEN TACO with ‘VIPER’
1- large corn tortilla
2 TB shredded jack /menonita cheese
2 ounces sliced grilled chicken thigh Viper Salsa , to taste
1 or 2 TB sliced avocado
“Funions”1. Start the salsa at least one hour ahead of time.
2. Marinate and grill the chicken. Keep warm.
3. Heat a griddle. Sprinkle a tortilla with cheese and heat until the cheese is melted. 4. Slice the chicken and place on the tortilla. Top with a spoonful of Viper Salsa, sliced avocado, the “Funions” and cilantro.
GRILLED AGAVE SHRIMP TACO with SPICY GREEN SALSAIngredients:
1 corn tortilla
3 – agave shrimp, marinated and grilled Guacamole
Spicy Green Salsa
Pico de Gallo
1. Make the Spicy Green Salsa. Have the other garnishes ready.
2. Marinate the shrimp, and grill off ( or saute to cook.)
3. Heat 1 tortilla until soft and ‘dorado’. Top with guacamole, 3 cooked shrimp in a line. Spoon