Dallas Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers had to exit team activities early Wednesday.
When Vickers slumped over with his right hand near his waist and headed for the locker room, everyone though he had some sort of injury.
Well, the truth, at first glance, seems funny, is actually far more serious for the 29-year-old.
Vickers, it turns out, was under attack by fire ants.
“Fire ants got in my pants,” Vickers said. “I was freaking out.”
He added: “I was trying not to squeeze myself in front of women out there. I wanted to pull my pants down and run inside, but I couldn’t do that. When those ants get close to those testicles, there ain’t no laughing about that.”
Of course at the time of the incident Vickers wasn’t laughing. It turns out he’s allergic to the insects.
About four months ago, Vickers was stung by fire ants while working out. The stings caused his neck to swell. Because of that incident, Vickers said he carries an EpiPen with him. An EpiPen provides an injection of epinephrine, the first-line treatment for a life-threatening allergic reaction, according to EpiPen.com.
This time, Vickers was able to avoid having to use an EpiPen — instead Benadryl was enough to do the trick.