An 86-year-old Detroit man whose family said he disappeared a day after winning $20,000 in the lottery in December was found stabbed to death in a vacant house, authorities said on Wednesday.

Arthur Neal Jr., whose family said he went missing on Dec. 20, was found dead on Sunday afternoon, said Officer Nicole Kirkwood, a Detroit police spokeswoman. Neal was reported missing on Dec. 28, she said.

“That’s who was there, oh,” said Fred, a neighbor next door. “That’s why it’s not good to identify yourself picking up that money. I’m sorry to hear that.”

Family members told local media that Neal won $20,000 in the lottery on Dec. 19. Police have not confirmed the lottery win, Kirkwood said. A Michigan Lottery representative could not be reached immediately for comment.

Neal’s granddaughter, Lawanda Marshall, said the family became concerned when Neal did not show up for the holidays. Marshall said a number of people in Neal’s neighborhood were aware that he had won the money, and that they knew it was unlikely that Neal would have simply skipped town.

Marshall told CBS News:

“It bothers me greatly because I don’t think that’s the type of information that should have seeped out – if that was the case – especially that neighborhood in which he was staying and reside.”

“I hate to hear he is gone,” said one neighbor.
“It’s sad is all I can say,” said another. “A good man, just gone.”

An autopsy determined that he died from multiple stab wounds, the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office said.

Arthur Neal isn’t the only lottery winner to be found dead.

when he won the $31 million Texas Lotto jackpot in June 1997. Nearly broke and constantly moving between low-paying jobs, with a wife and three children to support, the first of his $1.24 million annual payouts seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel. Instead, it was the beginning of an annus horribilis for the 47-year-old Texan. It started out joyful: he quit his job at Home Depot, took his family to Hawaii, donated tens of thousands of dollars to his church, bought cars and houses for friends and family, and even donated 480 turkeys to the poor. But his lavish spending attracted unwanted attention, and he had to change his phone number several times after strangers called to demand donations.

He also made a bad deal with a company that gives lottery winners lump-sum payments in exchange for their annual checks that left him with far less than what he had won. When Harrell and his wife Barbara Jean separated less than a year later, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. His son found him dead inside his home from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on May 22, 1999, shortly before he was set to have dinner with his ex-wife. While family members disputed the idea that Harrell could have committed suicide, he clearly wasn’t happy with his life; he’d told a financial adviser shortly before his death that “Winning the lottery is the worst thing that ever happened to me.”

in 2013, a Chicago businessman died shortly after winning almost $425,000 from the Illinois Lottery

Urooj Khan died from cyanide poisoning, a U.S. medical examiner says.

Khan died on July 20 just a day after his winning cheque was mailed out. Lottery officials said he may never have even received it. The cheque was cashed on Aug. 15; the money typically goes to the estate if a lottery winner dies, officials said.


Lottery Winner Arthur Neal Found Dead

Lottery Winner Arthur Neal Found Dead

Arthur Neal Found Dead: Missing Lottery Winner Stabbed To Death In Empty House